Tuesday, February 5, 2008

2/5/08 8th

Today we read chapter 16, then we completed this worksheet:

Name____________________________

Touching Spirit Bear, chapters 13-16

Who said it? Choose from this list of characters: Cole, Garvey, Edwin, Cole’s mom, Feather Keeper, Rosie, Peter’s lawyer

Write the character’s name and the page number below each quote.


“But helping others is how I help myself.”


“No more chances!”


“All of life is a hotdog.”


“Circle Justice isn’t blind. It is about facing consequences.”


“In a few months your body will heal, but time won’t heal your mind as easily. Helping others can help heal your wounds of the spirit.”


“We all have things we wish we could do over again.”


“You gonna eat that thing, or play with it all day?”


“He’ll be okay if he ever finds a reason to live.”


“I’ve quit drinking.”


“If I like the cake, maybe the ingredients are okay, too.”


“You don’t need to think about the truth.”


“Why don’t we just send him to Disney World for a year?”


“You didn’t trust me.”


“The song we hummed is a song of friendship.”


Discover yourself . . . Celebrate being alive.”


We, as readers, get to watch Cole’s change of heart from inside his head. Each of the following quotations show Cole is going through an attitude adjustment. What is Cole thinking about or saying in each quotation? How is he changing? What is he realizing? What does the quotation mean? Use complete sentences to answer these questions for each quotation.

“Are you okay?”



“Cole’s eye grew moist. He couldn’t stop thinking about the tiny birds strewn in the grass.”



“But how had the world benefited from his living?”



“He wanted to live.”



“All of his life he had squandered his choices.”



“He wanted to live, but for that he needed help.”



“A strange thought occurred to Cole: the world was beautiful . . . how much beauty had he destroyed?”



“Cole forced a nod. ‘I am okay.’”



“Whatever happens now, I’m done being mad.”



“I . . . I know now I was wrong . . .”


I also gave a list of vocabulary words and a worksheet designed to help you learn them. See me to get a worksheet. The words are listed in the column to the right.