Tuesday, October 21, 2008

10/21/08

Today we talked about adding detail. Yesterday we each wrote about an experience we have had that was somehow meaningful to us. Today we are revisiting the experience to see what kinds of details we should add. Remember, a good way to find details to add is to ask yourself where, what, when, why, how questions. You should also make some sort of connection between your experience and what it means to you today. Here is an example of how I added detail to my experience:

When I was five years old I was jumping on the couch. I fell and hit the sliding glass door. When my mom heard the crash she ran into the room. She found me lying on the floor with broken glass all around me.

Here is the same experience after I added important details:

Five year old children have a lot of energy. I was no exception to the rule. When I was five, I loved to climb and jump. Wherever we went, my mom was always pulling me down off of things, but I wouldn’t stop climbing.

One day when I was watching TV in the living room I started getting antsy. I needed to climb or jump or run or do SOMETHING. I couldn’t stand just sitting there watching Sesame Street. So I climbed onto the back of the couch. Then I thought it would be fun to jump from the back onto the cushions of the couch. It was fun for a while, but I started to get bored again. I needed more of a challenge, so I decided to try jumping from the cushions up to the arm. Well, I jumped too far—which wouldn’t have been so bad if it hadn’t been for the sliding glass door on the other side of the arm.

I crashed through the glass of the door. I don’t really remember that part, but my mom remembers the sound. She came running into the room to see what on earth had happened. She found me there, lying in the glass, looking up at the remaining glass with its sharp ends pointing at my stomach.

My mom freaked right the heck out, until I looked at her and said, “Sorry Mom.” She couldn’t believe that I was okay—not only okay, but I didn’t have a single scratch or bump from the incident. She was so happy that she started crying. I think she cried later on, too, when she realized they would have to buy a new sliding glass door.

These days I still climb, but instead of furniture I climb mountains. In August my husband and I climbed the Grand Teton. It was an experience I will never forget, and it symbolizes a big part of who I am. I climb now for inspiration rather than to rid myself of excess energy. The beauty of the mountains helps me to be grateful for our earth and all the joy it provides for mankind.

Do you see how the added details make a difference in my story?

Your assignment today was to look at the experience you wrote yesterday and add details. When you are satisfied with the description of your first experience, write about a second. You should write at least three paragraphs for each of three experiences.

I also gave this worksheet to help you decide which experiences you would like to focus on:

Who Am I? Name______________________________

Use the following questions to gather ideas (pre-write) for your autobiography. This worksheet is meant to get you started. Don’t limit yourself to these topics when writing your first draft.

1. What is your favorite thing to do after school or on weekends?



2. What is your earliest memory?



3. Describe a time when you were hurt.



4. Describe a happy moment from your childhood.



5. What is your family like? Describe them.



6. What do you think is the best thing about you?



7. What is your greatest talent? What do you do with your talent?



8. Think of three experiences you have had that show who you are. Briefly describe those experiences here. You can write on the back of this paper if you run out of room. Write as much as you can so you will have something to work with when you write your first draft.

No comments: