Thursday, November 29, 2007

11/29/07 8th revise and edit

Today for a journal entry, we wrote our spelling words five times each.

We focused on revising and editing our 1st draft today in class. I checked the Venn diagram and 1st draft to make sure we'll all on track (and to put a little grade in my book). Then we got together in groups of three or four to do some peer evaluations. Each group member read her/his paper aloud while the other group members listened for the following things:
  • hook (not "I am writing my paper about . . .")
  • thesis (indicating three sub-topics)
  • signal words (see previous entry)
  • does the paper compare/contrast the first Thanksgiving with writer's Thanksgiving
  • conclusion/closing statement

Each listener wrote a half page about the reader's paper based on the criteria above. The idea is that the reader should use the notes from the evaluators to make good, positive changes in his/her paper. Each student was also assigned to do a self evaluation. If you were not in class today, you should have two or three folks at home evaluate your paper based on the criteria previously mentioned. You should also answer these questions for your self-evaluation:

  • Does my paper have a good hook?
  • Does my paper have a thesis statement stating three sub-topics?
  • Does my paper have three paragraphs in the body, one per sub-topic?
  • Does my paper have a conclusion?
  • Does my paper have five paragraphs?
  • Does my first paragraph have five or more sentences?
  • Does my second paragraph have five to seven (or more) sentences?
  • Does my third paragraph have five to seven (or more) sentences?
  • Does my fourth paragraph have five to seven (or more) sentences?
  • Does my fifth paragraph have four or more sentences?

If you answered no to any of these questions, you will need to revise (change) your paper. You will also need to revise your paper based on the comments you received from your peer evaluations.

The final draft is due tomorrow. Please turn all steps of the writing process in this order:

  • score sheet (green sheet I handed out today in class)
  • Venn diagram
  • first draft
  • peer evaluations
  • self evaluation
  • final draft

Good luck and work hard! I expect a lot out of my students, but I know you can do it!